The Sony FS5 is a new 4K cinema camera that will slot in between the FS7 and the FS700 in Sony’s product range.
The FS5 is remarkably small, with a detachable LCD, smart grip & industry-standard SD card slots. The new FS5 is going to come in at £4,100 for the body only. The camera will only be able to shoot UHD 3840 x 2160 out of the box, though apparently DCI 4K and 4K RAW will come in a later firmware update.
We’ve yet to get hands on with one of these, but here are some useful videos from Sony & Den Lennie for those of you after more information.
PXW-FS5 Official Sample 4K Video | Sony Professional
PXW-FS5 Official 4K Interview with Den Lennie | Sony Professional
PXW-FS5 Official Sample High Frame Rate Video | Sony Professional
- 4K Super35mm EXMOR sensor — 4352 x 2662, 11.6 Megapixels (8.4 Megapixels Effective)
- Native E-Mount
- Native 3,200 ISO, Goes up to 32,000 ISO
- 14 Stops of Dynamic Range
- Manual ND Filter: OFF: CLEAR, 1: 1/4ND, 2: 1/16ND, 3: 1/64ND
- Built-in Electric Variable ND from 1/4ND to 1/128ND
- S-Log2 and S-Log3
- On-board XAVC-L recording
- 3840 x 2160 8-bit, 4:2:0, up to 30fps continuous.
- 1080 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 60fps continuous & 120, 240, 480, 960 fps buffered.
- Less than 5 sec boot time, Direct Access Menu, No rebooting for Rec format changes, etc., 2K Center Crop
- OLED Viewfinder: Approx. 1.44M dots
- 3.5″ LCD: 1.56M dots
- Magnesium frame & body with active cooling
- 4K 4096×2160 output capable with paid future firmware upgrade
- 4K RAW in Future Firmware
- Dual SD Card Slots, Can Record Proxies
- 3G-SDI, 4K HDMI, WiFi, Wired LAN, 2 XLR, Built-in Mic
- 2X Digital Zoom in HD, 1.5x in UHD and 2K Center Crop for Super 16mm Lenses
- Same batteries as FS7
- Weight: Just under 2 pounds, Under 5 Pounds with everything
- Availability: November 2015
- List Price: $5,600 without lens, $6,100 with 18-105mm f/4
For more information and a detailed tech spec, head here for more information.